Pages

July 23, 2018

botanical no.1 on wood slice

Botanical No.1 on Wood Slice - Approx. 11x12.5x1 - Wood slice, Watercolor, Gouache, Ink. Sealed w/ UV Satin Varnish.


I have always loved wood and all its characteristics. The different colors and tones, the growth rings and knots, the organic beauty of each and every piece. Probably because I have such a serious love affair with trees and mother nature as a whole! Swoon!!

Over the years I have been drawn to wood as my artistic canvas over and over again. Everything from building from it to wood burning to carving to painting on and even drawing on wood surfaces with colored pencils. It is an amazing surface to express your artistic talents! Recently, I committed to myself to using supplies (mainly so I wouldn't buy any more art supplies lol) and inspiration that already lives in my studio and in my life. I had a naked wood slice in my stack of studio supplies and well, the rest is history!! I was once again addicted to working on a wood canvas.


This time I wanted to try something different and incorporate watercolors or gouache and possibly ink as my medium. I wasn't quite sure how it would absorb or expand once water was introduced, and whether to 'prepare' the wood before or after or in-between stages, but I figured it out and now I can't stop. I have several pieces completed since finishing this Botanical and I'll post the other pieces here over the next few days. Botanical's have always been a favorite inspiration for me but, hint hint, owls have also found their way into this love affair I am having. I love all of the feedback and purchase requests I have already received on Instagram or Facebook so I think I will be lingering here in wood canvas world for a while.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...